How To Keep Ticks In Fort Lauderdale Off Of Your Property
The presence of ticks on your Fort Lauderdale property can be destructive and spread dangerous diseases to humans and pets. The three common tick species found in Fort Lauderdale are the deer tick (also known as blacklegged ticks), lone star tick, and American dog tick. Not only do ticks draw blood from their host, but they can also transmit Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Trust the Fort Lauderdale pest control experts at Mitchell Pest Services to keep you and your loved ones safe.
Is This A Tick?
While ticks vary in size depending on the species, they can range from 1/10 to 1/4 of an inch long. They have eight legs, a small head, and a larger body. They survive by eating the blood of birds, reptiles, and mammals. Ticks will feed on whatever is available, including deer, livestock, humans, dogs, and cats. They consume blood throughout all four stages of their lifecycle and can carry pathogens.
Every Disease That Ticks Can Transmit
Tick bites on humans can lead to hazardous diseases. Some of the diseases caused by ticks in Fort Lauderdale include:
- Lyme disease: Lyme disease is a bacterial infection transmitted by ticks. Some of the symptoms of Lyme disease include rashes, fatigue, joint pain, fever, and headaches.
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever: Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a bacterial disease caused by a bite from an infected tick. Rocky Mountain spotted fever symptoms include fever, headache, nausea, and a lack of appetite.
- Ehrlichiosis: Ehrlichiosis is a bacterial infection spread through the bite of an infected tick. Symptoms usually appear 1 to 2 weeks after the tick bite. These symptoms include confusion, fevers or chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, and headaches.
These diseases can be severe, resulting in hospitalization, and although not common, they can be life-threatening. Ticks can also make your pets quite sick and transmit diseases. Regular tick treatments are essential to protect your pets from these pests, so consult your veterinarian about year-round tick prevention.
How To Effectively Deter Ticks In Fort Lauderdale
Ticks are incredibly active and prevalent in the warmer months, and their presence in your home and yard can be unsettling. However, there are some actions you can take to keep them away from your Fort Lauderdale property and protect your pets and family. These include:
- Make sure your pets are up-to-date on tick prevention, and regularly inspect your pets for ticks.
- Build a physical barrier to keep raccoons, deer, and stray dogs off your property.
- Be vigilant with outdoor maintenance by mowing the lawn regularly, trimming back overhanging trees and shrubs, and removing leaf litter and plant debris.
- Eliminate rodent-friendly spaces.
- Wear tick repellent.
- Perform a tick check when coming inside after spending time outdoors.
While these methods can help deter ticks from your Fort Lauderdale property, leaving it up to the home pest control experts is the only sure way to prevent ticks.
The Best Way To Permanently Remove Ticks From My Property
Ticks are fast becoming problematic in the Fort Lauderdale area. Entertaining ticks in any capacity is not recommended, which is why Mitchell Pest Services provides tick prevention for properties around Fort Lauderdale.
Our service professionals have been providing professional pest control in Fort Lauderdale for a decade. Mitchell Pest Services has the tools and knowledge necessary to protect your family at all costs. We're not just another tick control company in Fort Lauderdale; we're your first line of defense against some of the most dangerous pests in Florida.
Call for a free over-the-phone estimate or to schedule a tick management program from Mitchell Pest Services. Mitchell Pest Services are good people helping good people!
"A gentleman by the name of Bubba from this company came by today, was right on time and could not have been nicer or more professional. I am looking forward to utilizing this company and I am taking the time to write this review because of how impressed I am by this young man, very respectful and very knowledgeable. I would recommend this company.."
"I totally recommend. I called them, they answered right away and scheduled me for the next day. The inspector showed up the time he was scheduled. He explained everything in detail. Price was good as well. Very professional company."
"Mitchell Pest has been a pleasure to deal with. It’s always easy to speak with someone and they come out fast. Great service from Bubba who’s kept the bugs away!"